Monday, December 8, 2008

A Rollerskating Jam Named "Mondays"

Benton seems to have this idea that Mondays are boooooring and while he's playboying about Miami, I'm busting my ass at a supermarket deli:



I work from 9am-6pm EST on Mondays, which doesn't sound so bad except for the fact that I live in LA, and so the third thing I do to start my week after a shower and shave is squeezin the stuffins out of 16 frozen chickens. Then I drop into the fire like DJ AM and man the deep fryers, ones and twos. After a quick chicken tender breakfast, I slip around in the freezer for a few minutes before pouring some combination of mac & beef and Stompin' Steakhouse Chili all over my apron. Oh yeah, ever worn an apron? It has three pockets on the front of it and every time I reach for my cutting glove it looks like I'm grabbing at my junk. Sometimes I cough while I'm down there to see if anyone laughs.

Then the customers come and I take painstaking care in handcrafting some of the greatest sandwiches our era has yet witnessed. One dude told me that I was Picasso and a very sweet elderly woman told me that I will be a good husband one day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

BUT I don't work there on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so Monday is also kind of like my Friday in a weird way. Oh yeeeeeeah...